Tuesday, August 7, 2018

In loving Memory of Peaches and Pepper

As I stated in my previous blog since November when I lost Alison, I have lost both Peaches and Pepper. I miss both of them and I also miss Alison as well. This makes 3 cats within a year that I lost. 

I will do Peaches first since she was the first of the 2 recent loses to occur.

Peaches December 16th 2007 (gotcha day)-July 25th, 2018.

Peaches was a cat that came to us as an adult so we had to estimate her age. We estimated her to be 13-17. She used to be a street kitty that let us take her in on Dec. 16th 2007 and she passed away from Anemia due to Kidney Disease. In early July Peaches got real clingy and would need a lot of comfort. I had a hunch that something was about to start but I was just hoping that this was just a faze of her being real cuddly. Then a week before she died she started hiding and doing other stuff that was alerting me of her being sick. After a week, I called the vet and scheduled a visit which I thought that it would be ok. But I was preparing myself just in case. While at the vet they took one look at her and took her back for a in house blood test which showed that she had anemia with Kidney Disease. She was also dehydrated due to the lack of drinking water. She was eating some wet but other than that we rarely saw her drink. She also came from 9lb to 6lb. I could have rushed her to the emergency vets and tried to buy her some time like we did for Tigger (who passed in 2009). But with her age and health the chances of that working was low and even if it did work, it would have brought us another month or two. I couldn't bear to see her go through all that. For one she was a fighter, she survived the streets and the flood and I did not want her final months to be spend with blood transfusions and vet visits. Second I know from trying it with her when Alison was on K/D for a short while and she did not eat it at all. She hated that food so I know that we would not have gotten her to eat it. Third, with her est. age and current health that there was no guarentee that she would have survived through treatment. And finally she was already hiding. I was so afraid of her dying and not being found for days. (When Alison died naturally in Novemeber she died on the kitchen floor. It was like she went to get a drink but had to rest and then passed on) I know hiding is normal for dying cats so no suprise for Peaches's behavior. So I had to make the difficult decision to put her to sleep. This way she was with family. It was quick and peaceful. She was such a easy patient that at first they did not want to sedate her before hand but I requested for that to be done so that they did it.

Pepper June 14th 2017(take home date at 2 months old)-August 3, 2018

Pepper was only 1 years old when he died from heart disease/thrown clot.We have been battling fleas for the Summer when Pepper got sick with flea Anemia. Unlike Peaches's anemia his could be treated and as long as the fleas left (which they did and we treated the house with stronger flea stuff than what we were using) and we should not have to worry about it. He got sick the day that Peaches died so that we figured at first that it was mourning for losing his friend. All he saw that she left but never came back. Well a few days later my brother saw some signs that this was not just depression and we rushed him to the emergency vets where they were able to save him. He came home after we flea treated the house with stronger stuff and he was doing better. Every day he got stronger and back to his own self minus litterbox issues which we would later learn was not his fault. When he was at the emergency vets they detected a small heart murmor. They chalked it up to him being anemic at the time which could happen.Well all was well until Friday evening. He went to the reg. vet the day before and his blood count was up to 20 percent (normal is 30-40% for blood cell volume so we knew he was making his own blood cells. Well Friday afternoon while we were out running errands Pepper's heart condition got worse. This was not a anemia issue but it turned out the heart murmur was from heart issues that he was born with. Well while we were gone he threw a clot which left his rear end paralyzed. When my brother saw him, he was a mess and when we saw that his rear end was limp we thought that he got hurt. Well we know now that it was a clot. So we rushed him back to the emergency vets where it was discovered the clot and that his heart was starting to fail. So even though he made it through the anemia, he was not going to make it through this and even if they did, he would have been left half paralized. So we had to make the decision and had Pepper put to sleep.

We miss them, but we did the best that we could for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment